Monday, July 16, 2007

My Mamaw..."Big Mamaw"

We all called her "Big Mamaw." I don't think it was because of her size. One great granddaughter started it and that is what we ALL called her...22 grandchildren, 40 great grandchildren, and 9 great, great grandchildren. Others probably called her that also.

Her great granddaughter needed a distinction between her grandmother and her great grandmother. They lived right beside of each other. Her grandmother was "mamaw." So for whatever reason in her little mind she started calling her great grandmother "Big Mamaw."

She went to heaven on Saturday. She was 97 years old. She has been in a nursing home for the past several years. She has not known us for those last years...she had Alzheimers.

When the family decided she could no longer live alone (she was already over 90), she moved in with my parents. Abby, Cassy, and I visited with her a lot during that time. She did not know us from day to day. She did not know we were family at all. She thought she was in a elderly care facility already. She was usually happy though. The girls were good company for her.
She has a large family. She had 8 children, three girls and five boys (one of the boys died shortly after birth). My daddy was the sixth child. You can read the obituary for a list of all the survivors http://www.legacy.com/knoxnews/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=90808214.

She was a wonderful Christian. She was a faithful member of the church that my uncle pastors, Emmanuel Baptist Church in Speedwell, TN.
She kept me a lot when I was little. My mom worked and I stayed with Big Mamaw. She lived just across the road from us. She taught me songs such as "Oh, How I Love Jesus." I remember gardening with her. Another memory I have is playing a little game we played where we watched the road and one of us counted the trucks and one of us counted the cars. She lived in a very rural community so I can't imagine that there were ever very many passing by. I enjoyed playing it though. I think that probably the trucks won every time in a little farming community. I probably didn't figure that out.

She lived a wonderful life and I am thankful for her godly example for me.


7 comments:

The Pepin Family said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that. Isn't it wonderful that you know where she is now and that you'll see her again someday? And now she's all better!!! I loved hearing about those wonderful memories you have. And it's great that you have pictures of your kids with her. I'll be praying for your family...

ap

Alicia Reagan said...

Stephanie, I am sorry to hear about your Mamaw. I know how sad it is to lose a granmother you have been close to.
I remember going to her house when she still lived in Speedwell. We had a fun time with her. She was very sweet to me - a complete stranger! I also remember her being in your parents home and there are lots of stories with that also!
We understand how it is to have a grandparent that has Alzheimer's. I'm sure there is lots of rejoicing that she is in Heaven, in her right mind, enjoying Jesus. What a day that will be when we are all together again. We are praying for your family. Love ya!

The Bryants said...

I'm sorry for your loss Stephanie, and I will be praying for your family. I'm glad you have such great pictures and great memories of Big Mamaw. :)

thefaulkfamily said...

I have prayed for your family today. I know that it is a sad, but happy day. I think that it is sweet that you call her Big Mamaw. It is a funny little name and i am sure that you laugh a little now thinking of it. I enjoyed reading about your memories with her. The "Glad Day" when we see our Saviour and all our loved ones is drawing nigh. What a sweet day that will be.

Jake and Amy Burkholder said...

Dear Stephanie,

I am sorry to hear about this. I will be praying for you and your family. It was fun to read your memories and see the love that your family has for each other. Please tell Abby that I said hello!!

Love ya lots,
Amy

Joy said...

I'm so glad you have so many sweet memories to hold onto. And to know she's in Heaven is better than even the best memory!

Suzanne said...

Hi Stephanie, Mark and family, Our sympathy to your family at this time. I'm glad that you have such wonderful memories of her and that she has such a shining testimony.

Your girls are growing up fast! They look beautiful :-)

Have a wonderful weekend.

Suzanne Allen and family.